January 2019

Welcome to 2019 Blog Family!!

While it is a new year and a new semester, I intend to bring the same commitment to service as before with me as I move forward in this new chapter. While I haven't completed any community service hours yet, I actually plan to form a relationship this semester with Waterworks, an “urban design and tech startup that works with community members to plan and implement flood water management and community development projects at the neighborhood block level.” Started by one of my sister’s best friends, Atianna Cordova, an LSU School of Architecture graduate, the organization is really important to me because it is directly relevant and pertinent to the city we live in and love. As we know, due to the city geography, New Orleans is prone to extreme flooding, both in extreme circumstances like hurricanes and even in smaller, more common situations like a heavy storm. This organization looks to help smaller communities prevent the problems associated with water problems by doing field research and data collection/analysis on a small scale, planning infrastructure changes to minimize the dangers and inconveniences caused by flood water. Furthermore, it incorporates elements of design to encourage residents to take charge of their community and not only work on environmental advancement, but also embody the city’s creative side. I look forward to working with the organization and can’t wait to help in any way I can through a volunteer capacity, and will update this blog accordingly with my activities.

Best,
Lekha Thangada
Community Service Hours (Total): 0 hours

Comments